SDL 1.2 and satellite libs PRE-RELEASE
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-06 04:29:51 UTC
I put up a PRE-RELEASE snapshot of the 2012 Happy New Year bugfix release.
:)

Please try these out with your projects and report any issues ASAP to
bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org

Here you go!

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15/docs.html

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES

Cheers!
ireni
2012-01-06 08:44:54 UTC
Nice news !

Thanks for these updates.

Will try the SDL_image 1.2.11 asap.

Is SDL 1.2.x supposed to "stop" one day for 1.3 version ?
René Dudfield
2012-01-06 10:09:49 UTC
Hello,

Very cool!

I think I read that midi looping is fixed now, but that is not on the
change log. I'm guessing there's a bunch of other things not on the change
log too.

On OS X is PPC, and 10.4 support dropped? Dropped platforms should be
mentioned.

No mmx blitters is a major speed regression... is there a bug report with
the errors?

cheers,
Jesse Palser

Dominus
2012-01-06 19:33:17 UTC
Why is OS X PPC support being dropped?
Yes, I know it's old and it's doubtful how many people are actually using it but still I wonder why dropping it now.
Compiling the framework worked fine with hg of some weeks ago and the autotools way works fine with current hg.

Since SDL 1.2.15 is mostly a maintenance release I really see no reason to drop PPC support. Code changes that are incompatible with PPC haven't been made AFAIK...

If it's just a convenience thing of building the ppc framework on Lion, I can help out with a real PPC machine (as well as many others can help out I guess).
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-06 21:20:12 UTC
Because I don't have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :)

If you contribute .dmg files with PPC universal binaries I'll be happy to
host them, but I can't build them.
**
Gregory Smith
2012-01-07 01:32:43 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
Because I don't have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :)
FWIW, Xcode 3 still works in Lion, so the tool chain shouldn't be a
problem. Lack of a machine to test with is another story :)

Gregory
Eric Wing
2012-01-07 03:08:41 UTC
I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.
--
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/
Torsten Giebl
2012-01-07 03:12:57 UTC
Hello !
Post by Eric Wing
I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.
Is 10.4 still getting security updates from Apple ?

CU
Nikos Chantziaras
2012-01-07 04:42:41 UTC
10.5 is the last release that runs on PPC hardware, not 10.4.
Martin Gerhardy
2012-01-07 08:05:44 UTC
Post by Torsten Giebl
Hello !
Post by Eric Wing
I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.
Is 10.4 still getting security updates from Apple ?
hi.

yes - there are still updates coming.

greetings
martin
Eric Wing
2012-01-07 03:13:26 UTC
And I don't expect setting Xcode 3 to the 10.7 SDK will work. I've
recently experienced problems with another project compiling the same
code on 10.5 or 10.6 with Xcode 3 and getting it to run on 10.7. I'm
not sure why this happened, but I don't recommend building Intel
binaries for the official distribution with Xcode 3. We could use lipo
to glue the PowerPC binaries into the Intel built libraries though.
Vittorio Giovara
2012-01-07 13:29:50 UTC
Having the PPC binaries bundled in the distrubution frameworks will
force anyone who is going to submit software to the appstore to strip
the sdl executables of the ppc version...
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-07 18:48:48 UTC
Oh, that's a good point. I didn't realize that Apple was rejecting apps
with PPC code in them. I rebuilt the mikmod and smpeg frameworks without
PPC code, thanks!

Anybody who wants to distribute 10.4 PPC frameworks can either rebuild them
themselves or grab the 10.4 frameworks that Dominus makes.
Gregory Smith
2012-01-07 04:05:14 UTC
Post by Eric Wing
I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.
I think it was just removed from the menu. You can still go to Other and type in ppc.

Our last release was compiled in Xcode 3 in Lion, and it works from PPC 10.4 all the way up to 64-bit Intel Lion machines.

Gregory
Nikos Chantziaras
2012-01-07 04:36:18 UTC
On OS X 10.6 I use Rosetta to test PPC builds. It works just fine. OS
X will install it automatically if you try to run a PPC GUI application.
Download something like VLC for PPC and you should be good to go.
Dominus

Dominus
2012-01-07 16:10:21 UTC
and that's so difficult...
But aren't there license issues anyway with SDL 1.2 apps on the app store? How does the lesser GPL like another license on top of it?
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-07 18:39:52 UTC
If you link with the SDL framework there's no problem.
**
Sam Lantinga
Cheers!
Jesse Palser
2012-01-08 20:51:34 UTC
Hi,

Was the music loop bug fixed in SDL_Mixer?

When using SDL_Mixer with OGG or MOD music formats,
and if you set loop > 0, on subsequent loops of music there is static.

My current work around is to play music one time
and when finished play it again one time.

Thanks!

Jesse "JeZ+Lee"
16BitSoft
Video Game Design Studio
www.16BitSoft.com
Sam Lantinga
Jesse Palser
2012-01-09 03:07:30 UTC
Sorry, seems like its working ok now.
(still using SDL_Mixer 1.2.11)

Tested both OGG and MOD music formats with loop set to "-1".
I remember long time ago it was an issue, but guess it was already fixed.

Thanks!

Jesse "JeZ+Lee"
16BitSoft
Video Game Design Studio
www.16BitSoft.com
www.16BitSoft.com <http://www.16BitSoft.com>
Vittorio Giovara
2012-01-08 21:14:36 UTC
Tested on OX 10.6.8 with Hedgewars
I have a few issues with the name changes of the frameworks, CMake
doesn't find SDL_Mixer (but strangely finds the other) and Freepascal
linker doesn't find any of the SDL satellite frameworks.
Renaming the frameworks isn't enough, as later when you launch the app
the loader will look for its rpath, crashing with "Image not found".

I know this restriction has been brought by the appstore (absurd)
policy, but would it be possible to have the old names back (and fake
the information in the Info.plist)?

Vittorio
Sam Lantinga
Vittorio Giovara
2012-01-08 23:48:23 UTC
I did so with Hedgewars when it was published on appstore, eg I had
all SDL frameworks with the underscore and just modified their
Info.plist to remove it.
The loader would not complain in that case and the review process
never reported it as a problem...

Btw, in later tests I found out that CMake doesn't find *any* of the
newly renamed frameworks.

Vittorio
Eric Wing
2012-01-09 00:33:41 UTC
I totally missed this discussion. Underscores are not allowed in the
middle of framework names??? Seriously??? Why does Apple even care?
This is all hidden in the app bundle away from end users. It's not
like it starts with an underscore which I know would probably confuse
their private API auditing tools.

Yes, that change is going to break a lot of things depending on the name.
- Setting the -I (include path)

- Linking the -framework or -l name

- #include <SDL_image/SDL_image.h> won't work (good thing we've told
people to do #include "SDL_image.h", but the -I (include path) stuff
will still break.

- 3rd party things like CMake.

My initial instinct is that we don't change the name for SDL 1.2, but
change it for 1.3. But I've been totally out of the loop on this one.

-Eric
Sam Lantinga
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-09 02:25:21 UTC
Okay, I've updated all the .dmg files with the old framework names, but
their bundle identifier still doesn't have an underscore.

Can you double check to make sure they work and they'll pass Apple's
scrutiny?

Thanks!
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Eric Wing
2012-01-09 03:33:42 UTC
Okay, now I get it. It's the bundle identifier that is the problem.

We spent several days last month reverse engineering what Apple allows
for bundle identifiers and what they like to do when you give them
something they don't like.

Apple claims to conform to RFC1034 which means letters, numbers,
hyphens, and dots. (Can't start with a number.) The underscore would
be illegal.

Xcode seems to convert any illegal characters into hyphens when
generating your bundle identifier off your project name. (They will
also convert extra dots they are not expecting to hyphens.)

Anyway, we should be able to change the bundle identifier without
breaking much. (I think I might have some native code that looks for
resources inside the framework's resource folder (not the app bundle's
folder), and the way to get this path is through the bundle
identifier.) But as a one time change, this is fine. My recommendation
is to pick the valid (RFC1034 compliant) name you want now and never
change it again.

-Eric
Post by Sam Lantinga
Okay, I've updated all the .dmg files with the old framework names, but
their bundle identifier still doesn't have an underscore.
Can you double check to make sure they work and they'll pass Apple's
scrutiny?
Thanks!
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-09 03:54:34 UTC
Okay, I'll add the hyphen. Thanks for clarifying!
Post by Sam Lantinga
I'm not sure, does anyone know if that will work with Apple's
submission
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
process?
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Cheers!
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-09 05:20:30 UTC
Okay, the packages are updated:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11.dmg
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Cheers!
Gregory Smith
2012-01-10 02:40:46 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11.dmg
Aleph One uses SDL, SDL_net, SDL_image, and SDL_ttf. I dropped these
new frameworks into the latest release, and everything works perfectly
on my late model MacBook Air running Lion, both in 32-bit mode and
64-bit mode.

Unfortunately the same app will not start on my original MacBook Pro
running Snow Leopard:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
Referenced from: /Users/ghs/Desktop/Marathon Infinity/AlephOne new
SDL.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/SDL_net.framework/Versions/A/SDL_net
Reason: Incompatible library version: SDL_net requires version
12.0.0 or later, but SDL provides version 1.0.0

I get similar messages for SDL_image and SDL_ttf if I just replace those.

Using just SDL 1.2.15, with the old satellite frameworks, the app
starts up, and the UI works correctly, but when I enter the game
mouselook doesn't work. The buttons do work to fire. This happens in
both fullscreen and in a window. Maybe recentering is broken?

This machine isn't set up in a comfortable position to debug this
stuff, so more once I'm able to relocate it. In the mean time, can
anyone else confirm issues with framework versions or mouse control in
32-bit Snow Leopard?

Gregory
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-11 02:14:22 UTC
Okay, here are the framework versions:

SDL
@rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 12.0.0, current
version 12.4.0)

SDL_net:
@rpath/SDL_net.framework/Versions/A/SDL_net (compatibility version 9.0.0,
current version 9.0.0)
@rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 12.0.0, current
version 12.4.0)

I'm guessing that you don't have your rpath set up in Aleph One and it's
getting a system installed framework instead of the one you dropped in?
Gregory Smith

Eric Wing
2012-01-11 08:37:16 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
SDL
@rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 12.0.0, current
version 12.4.0)
@rpath/SDL_net.framework/Versions/A/SDL_net (compatibility version 9.0.0,
current version 9.0.0)
@rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 12.0.0,
current version 12.4.0)
I'm guessing that you don't have your rpath set up in Aleph One and it's
getting a system installed framework instead of the one you dropped in?
Yes, I think one of the requirements for @rpath is that the app
linking to the framework needs to explicit set it. Set this in the
Runtime Search Paths option for your app in Xcode to:
@loader_path/../Frameworks

That will allow you to put it in the same place as before in the app
bundle. Once you do this, you should be able to drop in frameworks as
you did before without relinking in the future.

One of many advantages to @rpath is you can now list multiple search
paths. The the real advantage for this is that it is now possible to
build a framework that bundles another framework inside of it (like
how SDL_mixer depends on Ogg Vorbis). And then you can take that whole
thing and put it in your app. You only have to deal with the top level
SDL_mixer and the bundle as a black box and not worry about the
sub-dependency components.

By the way, when did we set the compatibility version for SDL and
satellites? I am totally drawing a blank on that.

-Eric
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-14 07:17:50 UTC
Oh, I put in compatibility numbers in the last build.
I wanted to match the libtool version, but perhaps I should leave
compatibility at 1, since all the frameworks are ABI compatible with
previous versions.
Post by Gregory Smith
@executable_path/../Frameworks
I've
Post by Gregory Smith
dropped in SDL frameworks before without trouble. No matter, we'll add
it to
Post by Gregory Smith
the next build.
Post by Sam Lantinga
SDL
@rpath/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (compatibility version 12.0.0,
current
Post by Gregory Smith
Post by Sam Lantinga
version 12.4.0)
@rpath/SDL_net.framework/Versions/A/SDL_net (compatibility version
9.0.0,
Post by Gregory Smith
current version 9.0.0)
Vittorio Giovara
2012-01-10 16:49:46 UTC
Thanks for updating the libs.
I suffered too for the "drop in" replacement (dylib: image not found),
I had to recompile the software to make it work.
Also I noticed a very different mouse behaviour, while in .14 it is
fine, in .15 it is sluggy and makes both cursor and camera unsuable; I
havent checked if this happens on linux as well.

You can try Hedgewars (which btw uses all the SDL satellites so it is
a good testsuite), compiled at the latest revision with SDL stable,
and SDL prerelease at these links:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24468/Hedgewars_SDL-1.2.14.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24468/Hedgewars_SDL-1.2.15.zip

Hope this helps,
Vittorio
Post by Sam Lantinga
No functionality issues reported so far, are these good to go?
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Ryan C. Gordon
2012-01-14 19:41:38 UTC
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Also I noticed a very different mouse behaviour, while in .14 it is
fine, in .15 it is sluggy and makes both cursor and camera unsuable; I
havent checked if this happens on linux as well.
I'm looking into this bug.

--ryan.
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-16 01:33:57 UTC
I've never played this, so I'm not sure what the mouse is supposed to do.
I know that when I get into the game and are trying to aim the bazooka
that moving the mouse just makes the screen shudder a bit, but this happens
with both your 1.2.14 and dropping in 1.2.15 here on OS X Lion.
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Eric Wing
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Eric Wing
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Eric Wing
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Eric Wing
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Eric Wing
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Eric Wing
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Vittorio Giovara
Post by Sam Lantinga
Post by Sam Lantinga
Cheers!
Gregory Smith
2012-01-08 23:21:22 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
No functionality issues reported so far, are these good to go?
Can we have a bit more time? It's only been since Thursday--I haven't even had a chance to download it :)

Gregory
Sam Lantinga
Marcus von Appen
2012-01-08 21:43:06 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
I put up a PRE-RELEASE snapshot of the 2012 Happy New Year bugfix release.
:)
[...]

Just a FYI:

They build fine on all active FreeBSD platforms (7, 8, 9, that's no
assumption about whether ports using them will still work ;-). Just
SDL_net needed a small fix (attached) for a missing header file.

As Rene already asked: is there some specific reason, why the MMX
blitters were disabled? I never noticed any problems with the blitting
routines in SDL 1.2.14 and below on any compiler or platform, except for
maybe small syntax problems (AT&T vs. others and such).

Best regards
Marcus
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-09 10:29:23 UTC
There are now 64-bit Windows versions of all of these packages.
The source archives aren't updated yet, but the binaries are in the win32
and VC zip packages.

Cheers!
Cheers!
Sam Lantinga
Cheers!
Tobias Leich
2012-01-09 15:23:08 UTC
Hi, I am able to build libSDL-1.2.15 and the others except libSDL_net
perfectly fine on my Ubuntu 11,10 x86_64.
We (the SDL_perl guys) dont use SDL_net so I dont tested it.

I ran nearly 4000 tests, all sems fine there.

But when I try to build libSDL_image on OpenBSD 4.7 i386 it throws the
following error:
/home/Alien-SDL/sharedir/1.430_5c89edb5/lib/libSDL.so.11.4: undefined
reference to `sem_timedwait'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It looks like OpenBSD doesnt have sem_timedwait at all:
bash-4.0# ldconfig -r | grep pthread.so
120:-lpthread.12.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.12.0
bash-4.0# nm /usr/lib/libpthread.so.12.0 | grep sem
000065c8 T sem_close
000064f4 T sem_destroy
000067d4 T sem_getvalue
00006424 T sem_init
000065a4 T sem_open
00006748 T sem_post
000066c0 T sem_trywait
000065f0 T sem_unlink
00006618 T sem_wait
00000000 F uthread_sem.c

Instead my Ubuntu says:
$ ldconfig -p | grep pthread.so
libpthread.so.0 (libc6,x86-64, OS ABI: Linux 2.6.15) =>
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
$ nm /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 | grep sem
[...]
000000000000dcc0 T sem_open
000000000000e570 T sem_post
000000000000e390 T sem_timedwait
000000000000e531 t sem_timedwait_cleanup
[...]

Is there something I can do at all?
Btw, libSDL-1.2.14 and libSDL_image-1.2.11 builds fine on that OpenBSD
system.

For those who are experienced with perl, here is the repo that builds
libSDL and the others:
https://github.com/PerlGameDev/Alien-SDL/tree/libsdl_prerelease

Cheers, FROGGS
Tobias Leich
Patrick Baggett
Tobias Leich
2012-01-10 02:25:48 UTC
I've attached the semaphore.h files of my systems, and the libSDL source
file that uses sem_timedwait.

Looks like _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600 would be
the right switch according to http://linux.die.net/man/3/sem_timedwait .

Should it use the same "../generic/SDL_syssem.c" like it does for macosx
when _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600 isnt true?

Because You cant just replace SDL_SemWaitTimeout(), the structure of
SDL_semaphore differ.
Post by Tobias Leich
I get the same issue on my NetBSD 5.1.3 i386. Are all BSD's affected?
Can somebody approve?
As I understand it, sem_timedwait isn't a part of BSD, so you're not likely to
find it on any *BSD or Mac OS X or Solaris (though newer versions may have it).
There ought to be a #define around code which uses it.
-- c
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-15 08:36:48 UTC
Okay, I added a check for sem_timedwait() and checked it on OpenBSD.

This should work in the latest snapshot:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.2.zip

Thanks!
René Dudfield
2012-01-15 09:58:00 UTC
Hi,

have you looked at the OS bug trackers and patches for SDL?

Most distributions come with patches for SDL currently. So it's always a
good idea to consider patches from the various distributions before release.

I started on a list of bug report, and patch urls... then got tired. heh.
Probably good to put this in a wiki somewhere to make it easy to reference
and edit later.

Patches:
ubuntu,
* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libsdl1.2/+patches
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-image1.2/+patches
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-mixer1.2/+patches
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-ttf1.2/+patches
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-net1.2/+patches

Arch linux,
*
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/sdl
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/log/trunk?h=packages/sdl

Bugs:
libsdl1.2
Debian,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=libsdl1.2debian;dist=unstable

ubuntu,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libsdl1.2
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-image1.2
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-mixer1.2
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdl-ttf1.2

novell
https://bugzilla.novell.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=libsdl

Red hat
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora&component=SDL&resolution=---
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora&component=SDL_image&resolution=---

Gentoo
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=libsdl

Arch linux
https://bugs.archlinux.org/?project=1&string=sdl
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-15 16:07:51 UTC
I have actually, though you listed a couple of distributions I hadn't seen
yet.

I checked through the list, and most of them are patches that have either
come from SDL in Mercurial, have already been applied to SDL in Mercurial,
or have been considered and evaluated as too risky for SDL 1.2.

Thanks!
Dominus

Gregory Smith
2012-01-10 13:44:09 UTC
From the "dropped" I can only wonder did you just replace the frameworks in the bundle or did you recompile the app?
Don't take offense if you did recompile anyway, the dropped just seemed an odd choice of words.
I did not recompile. Has the ABI changed!?

Gregory
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-10 16:00:18 UTC
No, the ABI has not changed. Dropping in should be fine. I'll take a
quick look at what each of them provide/require tonight. I thought I
matched the .dylib versions exactly but I may have missed something.
From the "dropped" I can only wonder did you just replace the frameworks
in the bundle or did you recompile the app?
Sam Lantinga

Cheers!
Gregory Smith
2012-01-14 12:43:21 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
Okay, any last blocking issues? I have a couple things to fix for the
release and I'd like to get it out this weekend.
Post by Sam Lantinga
See ya!
Any ideas on the new necessity to SDL_WM_GrabInput? I haven't had a chance
to recompile with the cursor shown and find out what's going on. I will try
to get to that tonight.

Vittorio, did you figure out your boaty mouse?

Gregory
Vittorio Giovara
2012-01-14 14:43:09 UTC
Hello,
no I haven't yet found out where the problem lays, but I was able to
further test this: everything working great on windows and linux, the
choppy mouse happens only on osx.
Is Hedgewars the only application affected?
Vittorio
Ryan C. Gordon
2012-01-15 08:03:06 UTC
Post by Vittorio Giovara
no I haven't yet found out where the problem lays, but I was able to
further test this: everything working great on windows and linux, the
choppy mouse happens only on osx.
Is Hedgewars the only application affected?
I couldn't reproduce this with the Hedgewars links you posted...at
least, both versions seem to react the same way (mouse moves the camera
around the playing field about the same in both...I only tried the first
bazooka tutorial level).

Am I doing this right? If this is something that's reproducing on your
machine, I don't suppose you'd be able to use "hg bisect" on this?

--ryan.
Gregory Smith
2012-01-14 14:46:52 UTC
Post by Gregory Smith
Any ideas on the new necessity to SDL_WM_GrabInput? I haven't had a chance
to recompile with the cursor shown and find out what's going on. I will try
to get to that tonight.
I turned the cursor on, so I can see what's going on. We're using
pretty basic mouse look: each frame we test where the mouse is, then
recenter it for the next one.

With SDL 1.2.14, I can see the cursor jitter around a few pixels as I
move the mouse, which the game sees and translates into looking.
However, with SDL 1.2.15, the cursor never deviates from the center of
the screen. Maybe SDL_WarpMouse behavior has changed?

Gregory
Sam Lantinga
2012-01-14 19:30:24 UTC
Can you guys assemble this info into a bugzilla bug with a test case for
tracking?
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org

Thanks!
Jeremiah Morris
2012-01-16 17:36:07 UTC
Post by Sam Lantinga
Can you guys assemble this info into a bugzilla bug with a test case for
tracking?
Bug with test case is here:

http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1375

Just launch the test app and jiggle the mouse -- the pointer doesn't move with the pre-release framework.

Unless the cursor is hidden and input is grabbed, SDL_WarpMouse seems to keep the mouse locked in place for 250 milliseconds. If I call it less frequently, I can see mouse movement between these periods. If I comment out the WarpMouse line, the pointer behaves normally.

- JM